February 27, 2009

V the people

It’s a bit late – but still, how did your Valentine’s Day go? Don’t ask me - we don’t celebrate V-day. We have nothing against people who do, just that we find it commercialized and kinda, stupid, if you ask. Why do you need a day to express love? I relate to mother’s and father’s days though. It seems hypocritical, but I think we take our parents for granted all the time. So a day to make them feel special seems like a good idea.

“So won’t you be taking your partners for granted as well?” is what you will now ask! Let me ask you something – who do you think celebrates V-day more? A couple spending their 15th anniversary together or 18-20 somethings? Cootchie cooing to each other 20 hours a day and then again getting mushy on V-day – give me a break guys!

Agreed, I am not romantic in the “usual” sense of the word. I think candle light dinners are the most boring things ever – and I would yawn to death halfway through. I also cannot imagine my husband lavishing cards, chocolates, and gifts on me every other day. God – I would so want to divorce such a guy! But yes, I do understand that there are many couples who really enjoy these, and I am not saying this is despicable. I only want to say, spare me!

But why am I discussing this at this late hour? Because last day, I came across this V-day supplement, featuring love notes people had sent to their valentines. First of all, I don’t understand why you have to put it in the newspaper for the whole world to see, but again, maybe that makes them feel special, and is a major surprise to know that person took the trouble of doing that for you – so fine. I was very amused by a few – of course I read them all after one caught my eye. That much of hypocrisy is fine with me ;)

Some were very interesting, here are a few for you (of course, names have been changed to protect MY identity):

1. “To Mrs xyz Sinha from abc Sinha” (so that people know it is his wife that he is proclaiming his love for)

2. “Dear anonymous from xyz Kumar” (Now – how on earth is the girl, who this is meant for, know it is her? Atleast if he had put in the girl’s name and signed off as anonymous, she would know someone loved her!)

3. To my grizzly bear from ur hairless bear (eeeeeeeeeeks – how can someone survive this! I’m sure there must be some interesting story behind those pet names, but I really don’t want to know what it is!)

All men out there - please tell me, I really want to know: do you mean to say you enjoy being called grizzly bear, honey bunny (yes, that was another one of the above list), or cootchie poo? Don’t you want to have a heart attack and die when you girlfriend calls you all that in public? I for one cannot stand women who get all mushy and call their boy friends or husband “baby”. Baby? Yuck! How do you bear with it?

Now I guess all of you think I am extremely boring and unromantic. I don’t think I mind though. If I were a guy, I’d rather spend my life alone than with someone who calls me all that. But well, in my defense I would like to say that I am not unromantic, I am just a different kind.

And what floors me? The one who needs to know, knows that well. So mum’s the word !

4 comments:

Noodlehead said...

i agree with your v-day sentiments...i'm not into chocolates and flowers and thankfully neither is N :) but he did do something rather sweet for me for the happy budday...it's on my blog!

Anonymous said...

Yeah Noodlehead, I read about that - it was really sweet :)

jupallis said...

Best post of the series of the blogs. I' LOLROFL after reading the post, as I know some people who does this kind of stuff(Protecting to save my identity) and used to wonder wether something is wrong with me as I'm not doing so :).

Now I can say I'm normal only those who are over reacting are abnormal.

For Your Kind Information Reshma Ji, Please refer to the point 1 of the following post {After reading this post please let me know the update :) }

http://sinnamoney.blogspot.com/2009/01/i-am-back.html

Unknown said...

its been really really lo...ng since i went thru ur blog..probably aftr i left bnglore i didnt or rather cudnt(!!)...an i must say i missd it..i didnt no we had similar thoughts on very many matters..
i completely agree with u on tv...yes..even i hate the city as much as i luv kochi..im so much obsessed with kochi, 4 wat i dont no..even the infamous mosquitoes havent brought down my luv...one thing i like abt tvm is the several temples ther which have retained their old glory...and wider roads thn kochi!!
i dnt know if u r aware, in tvm biju is a sarcastic word for old men!!! and mini is for older women..i heard it being used in my college.... well, i cant comment on the 2 letter names..im one of them..doesnt make any diff..even i hate them..reji, siji, biji, shiji, diji etc etc etc......
V-day is absolutely right..didnt know u wer also as unromantic as me in such things..u said it right..

toooo long a comment???? sorry ya..dnt know ven i can log in next...keep sending me the updates..