February 19, 2009

Metamorphosis miracle

Ever seen a butterfly breakout of its cocoon? I almost did. Ok - so I missed out on the breaking-out-of part, but this was no less than a miracle!

Remember I told you about sericulture in Ramanagara in my post on Mekedatu? We had carried back with us the 3 pupae that we had been gifted. We left it on our computer table to see what would happen to them, and totally forgot about it. Last day I remembered we had left this experiment on, and went back to check. I cannot tell you how fascinated I was to find 2 of the cocoons broken open, with butterflies crawling around!

Yes crawling. And placed very far away from my misconceptions of colorful butterflies fluttering around! They are white - well, the kind of white that clothes are before the 'washing powders' in advertisements turn them milk-white, and so totally bland (well, not literally). Also, they look more like moths.

Why are they not flying away? What will they feed on, those lazy bums, if they do not? And when will they get those bright colors? Are they a colorless variety? So many questions!

We are planning to leave them out in the sunshine if they do not show an inclination to flutter away by themselves. Let us see what happens!

For now, here are a few pics. How many of us ever get a chance to see this in real life? Enjoy while I google for answers to all my questions!
Look at the pattern on their wings! I am sure they will become colorful now!

This is the 'broken-open' cocoon

Errr- Two to tango?
Updated after googling: My knowledge in bio is really pitiable. Read some info on these here in Wikipedia. It says "If the animal is allowed to survive after spinning its cocoon, it will release proteolytic enzymes to make a hole in the cocoon so that it can emerge as a moth. The adult phase (the moth) cannot fly." It is a moth - it will not be colorful - and it won't fly - SIGH!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very Interesting and Very Nice!!!! May be they are silk worms and not butterflies. Please update after you google:)

Anonymous said...

u r impossible girl, trying to make a moth fly!!!

Anonymous said...

i read ur blogs.
its nice to read, in a way its informative.
thank you for posting those pictures of cocoon and moths
what do u plan to do with them?
can they survive on your computer table?

Chatter Pillar said...

Ah! What a blatant invasion of privacy. Why cant we beings let the moth do, what it musth? Some peeping toms we are, arent we. (psst... pstt... I am curious hows mothy doing! has it grown teeth? has it become a Pterosaur or Ichthyosaur?

Anonymous said...

Meg: Hope you've found the answers.

Asha: You now know I am dumb too.

Reethi: Thanks and they are still alive!

Chatter Pillar: Invasion of privacy? I thought i was being their saviour! :( They are doing fine though. Still alive and kicking (each other).