February 10, 2009

It's rocking!

This weekend, we set out on a trip to Mekedatu. This is about 100 km from Bangalore, and is a rocky place with a deep narrow ravine through which river Kaveri runs. It is about 4 km from Sangam, where rivers Kaveri and Arkavathi merge. It is perfect for a one day trip for adventurous people – which means not so much for people like me (read chicken).

Things to look out for (or watch out for, depending on which side you are on):

1. Sericulture in Ramanagara: It’s not for nothing that Ramanagara is called the silk town. People there are very friendly, and will explain to you all about silk worms and cocoons. But unless you know Kannada, chances of you getting enlightened are close to nil.

2. Sangam: This is where your drive ends. Here the waters are shallow and you can have a splash :) Carry a set of clothes, there is a restaurant nearby which has rest rooms and you can change there. Don't let the warning signs on the way to Sangam (see pic) worry you - they are for the hair-pin bends and rash drivers!

3. Bus ride to Mekedatu: Across the Sangam, there are buses which will take you to and fro Mekedatu at Rs. 40 per head. The drive lasts 10 minutes, is very bumpy but enjoyable. :)

4. The Mekedatu ravine: The word Mekedatu means “goat’s leap”. Read the legend
here. The rocks there are smooth and slippery (or so they seemed to me), with river Kaveri gushing through the deep gorge below. I feared for my life after a point and refused to accompany my husband further ahead (I told you I was chicken!). And all around I could see guys sitting on the edge and looking down at the water – aaaaaaaaaah! I almost had a heart attack!

5. Chunchi waterfall: You might also want to check out this waterfall which is on the way to Sangam, about 6 km off the main road. We drove down to that place, but realized we had to walk down further and were too tired to trek, so gave it a miss. But the journey to Chunchi was nice- through an idyllic village so typical, it was like from movies! And please drive extremely slowly here, because people, cattle, goat, dogs – none is tuned to vehicles and are forever darting on to the road.

I would like to leave you with a video from Sangam. This aunty was trying to dehusk a coconut. What an idea madam jee! I feel so sorry for that coconut!



5 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Dehusking" was very liberating!. I strongly feel, it could be a ritual. Anand James

Anonymous said...

Lol - I think so too! We could so imagine all the mean people we know and hate in place of that coconut!

Anonymous said...

The report reminds me of one of my old beautifuln naughty yet loving friend.

Anonymous said...

Okay one can't say a lot about a small piece of written work both as anonymous and then removing the veil (that means two comments from a single head!). Anyway let me say it is a nice work. Can I ask one thing? Why the commenting people have to enter the below given nonsense words? Are they ( Are U) checking whether we know English. (Thats obivious dont know the language)

Noodlehead said...

looks nice despite the ominous signs! oh lordy, that poor coconut...now we all a good way to getting that angst out!